Korean Placement Test Information
Korean Language Placement Test 2017-2018
Who needs to take the Korean placement test?
- Students who want to use Korean to satisfy the Weinberg and the School of Communication’s two-year foreign language requirement.
- Students who have previous knowledge of Korean and want to study Korean at Northwestern University. Students who know some Korean and Hangul must take the Korean placement test.
- Students who have come back from study abroad, and need to be placed into appropriate level of Korean class or need to earn specific Korean language credits.
The above apply to all students in all schools and programs, including graduate and professional schools. Transfer students are also required to take the Korean placement exam before registering for Korean courses.
Who does not need to take the Korean placement test and directly register KOREAN 111-1 (offered only in the fall)?
1. Students who have no previous knowledge of Korean language and want to start a Korean class.
2. Students who know some Korean language but do not know Hangul and want to take a Korean class.
What will the Korean placement test look like?
The Korean placement test consists of two parts: online test and validation test.
1. Online test: Vocabulary, Grammar and Reading http://placement-test.mmlc.northwestern.edu/
2. Validation test: Writing and Oral components conducted in-person
For the new school year, the online test is open during the summer and students can take it at home. All the online test results will initially show as “Validation Required” since speaking and writing assessments at the validation test are required to complete the placement process.
When and where will the Korean placement/validation test take place?
The Korean placement/validation test will take place during the Wildcat Welcome Week: Students must take both tests.
Date: Tuesday, September 12, 2017
Time: 3:00 - 5:00 pm
Place: University Hall 101
Please come 15 minutes early with your student ID and pen.
Prior to arriving for the validation test, you should have first completed the online test.
Where will be the result of the placement test posted?
After finishing both online and validation tests, the Korean placement result will be posted by September 13th on the same site of the online test unless different arrangements are made in advance.
How will the placement test proceed during the school year?
During the school year, individual students are advised to contact the placement coordinator for the instruction to take the online test as it is closed during the school year. After finishing the online test, students should also schedule an appointment for the validation tests in-person.
If you have any questions, please email Dr. Ihnhee Kim at email@example.com